Learn how to become an exceptional caregiver in Canada?s evolving health care environment! Adapted by a team of 4 experienced Canadian nurse-educators and a slate of expert contributors from across the country, the 4th Canadian Edition of Medical-Surgical Nursing in Canada offers up-to-date coverage of the latest trends, hot topics, and clinical developments in the field. Completely revised and updated content explores patient care in various clinical settings and focuses on key topics such as patient safety, exam preparation, evidence-informed practice, prioritization, patient and caregiver teaching, culturally competent care, and the determinants of health. A variety of helpful boxes and tables make it easy for students to find essential information and the accessible writing style makes even the most complex concepts easy to grasp. Best of all ? a complete collection of learning and study resources helps students learn more effectively and offers valuable, real-world preparation for clinical practice.
- Highly readable format offers a strong foundation in medical-surgical nursing.
- Content written and reviewed by leading experts in the field ensures that information is comprehensive, current, and clinically accurate.
- Revised Chapter 1 situates nursing practice in the unique Canadian context, discussing patient-centred care, interprofessional practice (including delegation and assignment), information-communication technologies, patient safety and quality improvement
- Culturally competent care chapter and special sections discuss culture as a determinant of health, Indigenous populations; health equity and health equality issues; and practical suggestions for developing cultural competence in nursing care
- Determinants of Health boxes focus on the Public Health Agency of Canada?s determinants of health, as they apply to particular disorders.
- UNIQUE! "Levels of Care" approach organizes nursing care in three levels: health promotion, acute intervention, and ambulatory and home care.
- Examination review questions at the end of each chapter reinforce key content while helping you prepare for examinations.
- Expanded chapter on genetics focuses on the practical application of genetics to nursing care of patients and includes current changes in Canadian clinical practice.
- Genetics in Clinical Practice boxes address key topics such as genetic testing, Alzheimer?s disease, sickle cell disease, and genetics-related ethical issues.
- Assessment Abnormalities tables alert readers to abnormalities frequently encountered in practice, as well as their possible etiologies
- More than 60 comprehensive nursing care plans on the Evolve website defining characteristics, expected outcomes, specific nursing interventions with rationales, evaluation criteria, and collaborative problems